Information in English

Please find below a summary of information in English about the "Register of Veterinary Medical Practitioners", including two English application forms. 

If you intend to work as a veterinarian or para-veterinarian in the Netherlands, you must be registered in the 'Register of Veterinary Medical Practitioners' (Diergeneeskunderegister, CIBG). CIBG manages the register. You are eligible to be registered if you meet the legally required qualifications. Registration is compulsory for the following professions:

  • Veterinarian;
  • Veterinary assistant/para-veterinarian;
  • Animal physiotherapist;
  • Technician specialised in embryo collection, transfer and placement.

Using your personal DigiD or eIDAS, you can register online at this website If you do not have a personal DigiD, for instance if you live abroad, use the Application form Veterinary Register (PDF, in English) to start your application. For any questions regarding the registration, please contact the Register of Veterinary Medical Practitioners by phone or e-mail.

Registration of veterinarians and para-veterinarians with foreign qualifications

Veterinarians and para-veterinarians who earned their qualifications abroad must satisfy the training requirements applicable in the Netherlands. Depending on the profession and the country where the qualification was earned, CIBG may recognise your qualification immediately or you may first have to request a statement of professional competence from CIBG. CIBG must recognise any of the veterinary qualifications listed in Annex V, point 5.4.2. of the EU directive on the recognition of professional qualifications. If necessary you can find out if your qualification can be legalised by the Education Executive Agency, (Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs, DUO - government education agency for authorising certificates and handling grants).


Veterinary care assistants and veterinary technicians specialised in embryo placement or embryo collection are allowed to perform less complex veterinary activities independently without supervision. However, most of their activities will take place under the supervision or guidance of a veterinarian. Animal physiotherapists may only treat animals after referral from a veterinarian.

Consulting the register

The Register of Veterinary Medical Practitioners is open to the public. For instance, suppliers of veterinary pharmaceutical products can consult the Register to determine whether targeted veterinarians and para-veterinarians are actually included.

External links